- What is the reason for separating Plato’s dialogues into Socratic (early) and Platonic (middle) dialogues?
- Why is Socrates’ method primarily negative? Is there anything that Socrates does (at least implicitly) claim to know?
- Explain why the Meno is considered a transitional dialogue.
- Explain Meno’s Paradox. How does Plato respond?
- Although Socrates claims ignorance, he seems to hold some surprising philosophical positions. Explain.
- Why did Socrates not plead for his life?
- What are the characteristics of the Forms, according to Plato. Why does Plato think that the Forms are the keys to providing Socratic definitions?
- Compare and contrast the stories of the Sun, Line, and Cave in the Republic.
- Explain the problem of reconciling Plato’s Cave with the overall project in the Republic.
- Explain the various accounts of knowledge in the Theaetetus and the objections to those accounts.
Ancient Philosophy Study Guide
Sep 26, 2016